Organizations We Support
FetLife supports the organizations that support our community. We hope that you will too, once you learn more about them and what they do for kinksters like you and me.
National Coalition for Sexual Freedom
The NCSF is committed to creating a political, legal and social environment in the U.S. that advances equal rights for consenting adults who engage in alternative sexual and relationship expressions. The NCSF aims to advance the rights of, and advocate for consenting adults in the BDSM-Leather-Fetish, Swing, and Polyamory Communities. We pursue our vision through direct services, education, advocacy, and outreach, in conjunction with our partners, to directly benefit these communities.
In existence since 1997, NCSF is the only organization in the U.S. with a specific mission and focus to work for the BDSM, poly and swing communities. NCSF's core programs include:
- Our Media Outreach program gives media interviews on alt sex, and produces the Media Updates, helps events with press and media when asked, and responds to negative characterizations about BDSM, swing and poly in the media.
- Consent Counts is working to change assault laws and decriminalize BDSM and educate our own communities consent.
- The Educational Outreach Program presents informative presentations around the country on everything from issues for SM groups to child custody and divorce issues.
- The Kink Aware Professionals list is free referral list for doctors, mental health professionals, and more who are responsive to and non-judgmental about alternative lifestyle issues.
- Incident Response program helps hundreds of people a year who are experiencing difficulties because of their alt.lifestyle interests and works to protect organizations and events from attacks.
Leather Archives & Museum
Have you ever visited an art gallery or historic museum in a large city and wondered "I wish there was something like this for kinky art and history"? There is! The Leather Archives & Museum, located in Chicago and serving the world, preserves and provides access to all that is leather, fetish, kink and D/s. We have a fantastic 10,000 sq. foot building to see the next time you visit Chicago, but in the mean time:
- The LA&M digitizes vintage porn, documentaries and event films. We offer clips of these for free through our website and YouTube (search leatherarchives).
- We regularly post historic images, commentaries and articles on our FaceBook page
- We offer distance research services through phone or email. Have a question about something that happened in the past and would like to get information directly from the source (newspapers, magazines, etc..)? Contact us!
- Our Road Show exhibits travel the United States every year. Check out our upcoming schedule on our exhibits page, or contact us about bringing a traveling exhibit to your town or event.
The LA&M collections have been populated by leather and fetish people since 1991. If you have papers, books, clippings, films, art, magazines, or other interesting fetish resources that you'd like to make available to the world, please contact us about donating your items. The LA&M is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. About our collections:
- The library collection contains published books, magazines, scholarly publications, films and electronic resources. The museum collection contains original erotic art and artifacts from alternative sex organizations and individuals. The archival collection contains unpublished papers and records from notable activists, artists, businesses and organizations related to the subject matter.
- Notable library resources include the writings of the Marquis de Sade, Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, Laura Antoniou, John Preston and Larry Townsend. Complete sets of Drummer Magazine, Bound & Gagged, SandMutopia Guardian and other periodicals are also available in the library and through distance research.
- Notable museum artifacts include original works by Tom of Finland, the largest collection of original Etienne works in the world, historic sadomasochism and sexual devices, and colors (patches worn on the back of leather vests) from hundreds of existing and former Gay and Lesbian motorcycle clubs, leather clubs and sex clubs. A complete inventory of photographs taken by Kris Studios, a legendary publisher of physique photographs in the 1950s also resides at the LA&M.
- Notable archival collections include the papers of Tony DeBlase, Joseph Bean, Jim Kane, Leondard Dworkin and the records of The National Leather Association, International Mr. Leather, and The Mineshaft.